“#Family praises Trump for helping bring Korean War vet’s remains home”
June 26, 2020 | 4:37pm
Army 1st Lt. Thomas J. Redgate was just 24 when he was presumed killed Dec. 11, 1950, when his field artillery unit was attacked by enemy forces near the Chosin Reservoir, North Korea, officials said.
But Redgate’s remains were only finally found earlier this year — after the president “set the wheels in motion” with his historic 2018 meeting with North Korean despot Kim Jong Un, his family told the Boston Herald.
“Without President Trump, this never would have happened,” a nephew, Andrew Redgate, told the paper. “We are eternally grateful to him.”
He said he was “grateful to bring closure to this sadness” — especially on the milestone 70th anniversary of the war, which Trump honored on Thursday.
Redgate’s remains will be returned for burial at the Massachusetts National Cemetery in Bourne, where he will be given full military honors, his family said. However, the exact date of his final burial remains unclear due to restrictions from the coronavirus pandemic.
If you want to read more News articles, you can visit our General category.